Friday 7 March 2014

Making the Monk - Part 5



Now for another digression from the main part of the project: the staff. In the interests of a dynamic pose, I decided to make the staff a separate part, (so that it may be cast separately, but allow for a final model with pose impossible for a single piece miniature). This process continued along side the sculpting of the rest of the model.

With the staff, the first thing to do was create the haft of the weapon, by rolling green-stuff (with a wire core) into a long tube. Once set; it was cut to the right length, and I added the first 2 flanges using ProCreate (better for post-set machining). Once these were 'fully' set (allowing much more time then usual), I used files and a craft knife to shape the flanges. I then repeated this process for the next two flanges, perpendicular to the first two.


With that done I added a rounded cap to the top of the staff, and a raised loop around the haft at the base of the flanges.

I then repeated the whole process on the other end.

Lastly I sculpted a hand wrapped around the haft, creating a connection point at the wrist where it will be attached to the finished model.
And that's the staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment